Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Future Games Creator Seminar 2

Ok, letz continue from the previous one, now is typing at Kok Yang's computer, hehe, say is help Lo Shyang do his 3D stuff, but end up doing my own blog :p

Ok...after the meeting personally with Walter, the next thing, yea, the most important thing for me, Hafiz, lead programmer of Phoenix, lead programmer for Feng Weng Online. I learnt a lot of thing from him, not at the speech...well this have to pull back to before the seminar start. Thank to John introduce me to Hafiz, and there he teach and share to me some of his programming expenrience. Here i going to share it out.

Hafiz told me that, Fixed Pipeline is going to leave out from direct X, while even in Direct X 9, people actually start using programable Pipeline, in other words, Vertex shader. According to what Hafiz and John told me, vertex shader is mean that as a 3D programmer, we going to program every vertex and pixel on screen...i hope I dont get them wrong, I did some research and found a good site to refer for this method, actually is a lot, incase you are too lazy to search yourself, here is it http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/vs/ . I told Hafiz that i actually reading a book to learn Direct X, well, he told me that, he never read a book for Direct X. How he learn then, www.gamedev.net , the answer. Well, i got really excited to talk with Hafiz and he did told me many important thing at the time which I want to start learning directX.

One thing very surpise me is that, Hafiz told me that, and to everyone else there, Feng Weng Online, actually just did by 4 programmers. doubt? a MMORPG by 4 programmers. I think I really have to get serious else i really some peanut in game dev.

Ok...I may bored some artist already. The next is for you guys! dont't leave ( i am really SS). Kevin is the last specific speaker. Talked about game's art, also another Q&A but even me myself, i did learn somthing from his speech (as you all know, i am quite art idiot). I try my best to summarize Kevin answers and talks here. The thing which keep floating in my mind is the part Kevin kept emphasize one, Theory of Art. Kevin said that, tools everyone can do it and use it to create something, but, to create something that have feeling you need art sense. How to have a strong art sense then? Theory. Kevin recommend student to research on Art Theory, history, color theory and motion theory. How to make a motion got the motion feeling? Theory. So art not all about drawing now? read some book then.

The next speaker after Kevin is the Microsoft talk by Walter. Basically is the same talk which he talked to me while i meet him (that why i said i am his Training Dummy, lol). After all the talks, we enjoy our lunch sponsor by MDeC, nasi goreng kampung dan ayam goreng, ada beberapa tambikai and honey dew. hehe.

Everyone are full now( not me). Ok, we left the action part, which is the exictement and nervous part...for those who are going to present their 3 month work of a game. The Showcase! This showcase we have 8 showing project, 5 by SEGD Gamma and 3 by FCM's Digital media FYP. Overally, everyone works is awesome. What dissapointed is, none of the SEGD student completed their game while all the FCM student did provide a well polish and complete flash game.

My own opinion here. FCM's student project all are flash game, game play is easy game design is creative but not that complete i think. Just for casually play. FCM's student's work all are very well polish, art is awesome (that FCM man...) story line provided are awesome (Maximum Shot story is very meaningful and complete)(plus Mei Kuan is such a leng lui, add some more point :P) Insane marathon game play is fast and contants, it fun, for 1st time, but seem no point to conitnue playing it. I really like the way to show how the character get hurt then 1st one leg gone, hurt again sit on the....what you call, orang cacat punya kerusi. the last life you left, you sleep on a patient bed. thats fun. Another is the Cubic house, honestly, i wont play that game, very tiring :p but the artm, yea, cool and unique.

For my fellow senior, sorry, i am not acting critical, but, a complete game really the key of the showcase i think. I not going to ensure that i going to provide a w3ell polish game or complete game, but i did learn this lesson at today seminar and try my best to avoid myself to fall into the same trap. None game by SEGD is actually complete. I think the main reason is game design student always have a great vision for their game, so the game become complex and the thing need to be done is more, more programming, more gameplay design and level design. One sems time while some other subjects are interfering is not a easy task to complete such a complex game i think. I actually knew the effort they put in, i knew them and got the news of them as well. Well, cheer for the hardwork then. All games are expandable and got a future for that game, hope they never give up and complete the game :)

Huh? quite long ? well, i guess that is all for my report of the seminar then. Kind of tired and sleepy again, so...thats all :)

Today Feeling? I have to be more serious and passionate...Direct X!