Wednesday, May 31, 2006

MGS3 & FIxed PipeLine Vs Programmable Vertex I

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater

This is today topic, letz talk something about my life today before I start the real thing, hehe. I over night at Lo Shyang house yesterday. What I like to share is I had a sweet but weird dream, but sorry to say that i cannot share it here, its a bit personal anyway :P That dream gave me a very nice start of the day i guess, just made me even miss one people again.

I start to play my Metal Gear Solid 3, Snake Eater at Lo Shyang PS2 today. Today progress is, Okay i think. Won the match with Ocelot and made the way out of the very dark cave. Comment to this game? Very good, challenging and funny. Ya, funny, in many sense, Hideo Kojima add some humor in the game. For example, You can die beaten by a Crocodile...wait...its funny? ya...to me.

MGS3 have a very nice game play, player need to be very careful and use the enviroment and equitment nicely to perform a nice action. You can complete the mission in anyway you like it, its one time i saved my game and shoot all the moving thing with my sniper, i still pass that stage with nothing wrong. Another time I use the CQC technique to take down all 5 guy shooting at me, then kill one by one...no problem, still past that stage. I personally like the sneaky and hiding action, so i always want to complete the mission in silence. Skill and Patient needed, but sometime, just screw up and start killing people everywhere.

Fixed Pipeline VS Programmable Vertex

Hey, I am not just playing for the day! I did learn some 3D thingy today, and so far i read the site which i given at last post, the Beyond3D website, it is really a very cool website i think. I learn a lot of 3D overview there. For beginner who want to step the leg into this field or people who used Fixed Pipeline a lot and wish to catch up the new tech, please do visit the site, it just at the previous post, go and get it (not giving here, so that you will read my previous Post :p)

I try to summarize what i read so far, about Fixed Pipeline Function in 3D programming. As far i knew, this also can known at TnL Pipeline. It is some API function built in into Direct X which is interface for transformation and lighting of each vertex. User use the the function built in to put in the vertex information and call up the function to process them.

Fixed Pipeline fixed some problem and optimized a lot of the actual work, it divide the complex process into serveral smaller process and past them to specifid Chip at the hardware which design to specialize process certain task to do seperate task at the same time. This speed up the process of the overall 3D process. But the trade off of fixed pipeline are, fixed. Some chips are really specific for some task only, if the program doesnt need that, it just leave blank there and doing nothing good to the overall. Another leak is, the function provided is fixe and limited. If the user wish to have another kind of lighting model but not provided by the pipeline, then...thas it, nothing can be done.

The low efficiency and low utilisation of the silicon area added to the lack of functional flexibility required for per vertex operations has resulted in the introduction of a different approach: The programmable Vertex Unit.
This is what the site said. So, i going to read that post later, hopefully complete before my eye lips drop down and will share that tommorow :)

Today Feeling :- i love the dream.