Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sleep

Polyphasic Sleep || Monophasic Sleep

I did quite a few of research on the topic of sleep since John told me about polyphasic sleeping last time while he was actually practising it. The first time I learn this I was exicted and cannot wait to know more about this fantastic thing. I online search, read people's blog, article and study related topic like sleeping stages, heathy sleep, discipline sleeping, etc.

Polyphasic Sleeping consist of different discipline. Uberman's Polyphasic Sleep is the most extreme form of polyphasic sleeping. It's about sleep 20-25 minutes every 4 hours interval for 24/7. Its mean you just sleep 2-3 hours per day and get 20-21 hours of free time for a day. Another more casual way of polyphasic sleep is have a 3 hour core sleep and 3-4 20 minutes nap in the rest of the day.

May be some of you already wonder, is that healthy or will kill someone? As far as I knew, there are many of human who actually sleeping like this for couple of years. They live healthy, normal and more free time. The concept behind is human actually need REM stage of sleep more than other stage. In this stage, human is consider in deep sleep, body resting, brain restarting (dreaming). Polyphasic sleeper use discipline sleeping sytle to traing their body to be able to enter REM stage of sleep in short time (20-25 mins). Theoritical, Polyphasic sleeper gain mroe REM sleep as monophasic sleeper.

Kuan's sleep?

I did try to sleep as a polyphasic sleeper after I did some research and asking of my friend's advice (All I got is negative feedback :P), it was like, the start of year 2006. Ermmm, obviously I didn't make it, hehe. Why?

1, This kind of sleeping need very, very, and very strong self-discipline. I always have problem in waking up from the bed and feeling sleepy easily. Its hard for me to wake up and keep myself awake sometimes. Beside, I actually facing problem to sleep at that moment.

2, Polyphasic sleeping is not suitable for my life. Study life, where i find place to sleep in campus if it is time to nap? Assignment crunch time have no slot to sleep :P. Holiday life, if I ever got some time back at Sabah, i rather spend my life with my dear friends and family. I not going to reject my friends' movie invite with the reason "Huh? 10p.m show? I cannot make it, I have to sleep 20 minutes at 11p.m) .....

3, Learning curve to actually master and get use of it. Its tiring. With my current attribute, forget it. hehe.

I gave up polyphasis in just 2 days or less. Then I start trainig another kind of discipline. It's been 20 years I sleep 8 hours for one day. I forgot since when, I actually start training sleeping 6 hours for one day. It's unofficial start and plan, so i failed some times at the early stage. Somehow, recently, I found out that I actually sleep 6 hours per day and I live my day normaly. I guess my body love it now.

Its been sometime since I slept 6 hours per day. Now Kuan's plan is shorten the sleeping time to 3-5 hours per day (With a Nap if 3 hours) to test if I can make it or not. Shorter time of sleep mean more time to active but at the same time need to make sure if these free times I condition myself at 80% - 100% focus. So, quality and quantity need to have a balance now. Hehe.

It seem not an interesting post today. I gonna report AGM for GDC later tonight after it. So, keep track!

Today Feeling :::::: Pizza is FULL!!!!